Like other racetracks (including the Nürburgring and Le Mans), Spa has seen a number of gruesome accidents. Yet through the years, the circuit has several redesigns, including changes in 1979. Because of raising awareness for drivers safety, it was decided to shorten track by 7.15 km and add Armco crash barriers.
The road near the Eau Rouge brook (known as Ancienne Douane) at the bottom of the valley was interrupted by a faster uphill movement. Today known as the Eau Rouge and Raidillon combination is the most famous part of Spa Circuit. So much popular so that a section of road very similar to the Eau Rouge was created in the Istanbul Park circuit in Turkey. It was jokingly named Faux Rouge (Faux from French means fake).
Currently it is used for events such as 24 Hours of Spa and the World Endurance Championship 6 Hours of Spa-Francorchamps, and the TCR Spa 500. It is also home to the Uniroyal Fun Cup 25 Hours of Spa, one of the longest motor races in the world.
SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
|Name||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps|
|Major events||Formula One, Blegiand Grand Prix, Blancpain Endurance Series, Spa 24 Hours, World Endurance Championship, 6 Hours of Spa, Spa-Classic|
|Circuit length||7.004 km|
In 1922 the motorcyclists held the opening inauguration for the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps. After two years, for the first time Spa 24 hours was arranged. It is the second endurance race at this racetrack, after Le Mans series. Before the World War II, the Spa Circuit hosted several other events such as motorcycle racings and Belgian Grand Prix.
Originally it was a speed course. In comparison to other race tracks, at Spa course, the drivers were able to get the highest average speeds. Thanks to those results, the Belgians were filled with proud because of ownership of very fast circuit. Those feelings led to decision to re-design the track in 1939 in order to improve average speeds.